Removing things from the normal flow
Callouts, Images & Figures
An author's composition normally flows from one paragraph to another, from one section to another. But when a concept or auxillary information is available, it can be put in its own separate out-of-flow content area.
Callouts and hidden details
- Capturing the casual reader's attention with a featured callout.
- Details and summary
- Keeping long-winded passages hidden until the user wants to reveal them.
- Inline images
- Adding images within the flow of text.
- Block-framed images
- Adding images that cleanly separate the flow of text.
- Positioning images
- Adding images with adjacent floating text.
- Captioning figures
- Placing a caption under a drawing or chart.